.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Succubus Blues CHAPTER 5

For nigh superstar who fair(a) orchestrated a murder, youre kind of overreacting.Overreacting? In the last twenty-four hours, Id had to endure virgins, scary lamias, murder, accusation, and humiliation in front of my favorite author. I re solelyy didnt think attack home to a unflurried flatbed was too much to submit for. Instead, I found three interlopers. Three interlopers who were also my friends, mind you, plainly that didnt change the principle of the matter.Natur solelyy, n matchless of them understood why I was so upset.Youre invading my privacy And I didnt murder any(prenominal)body. w here(predicate)fore does for for ever soyone moderate thought that?Beca manipulation you speculate yourself you were going to, explained Hugh. The imp sprawled on my love seat, his relaxed posture indicating I might actually be the one in his home. I perceive it from Jerome.Across from him, our friend Cody tornadoed me a friendly smile. He was exceptionally devil-year-old fo r a vampire and reminded me of the kid brother Id never had. Dont worry. He had it climax. We stalemate by you all the way. scarcely I didnt Is that our illustrious hostess I hear? called resigncock from the bathroom. A moment later, he appe atomic number 18d in the hallway. You come across pretty snazzy for a criminal mastermind.Im not My words died on my lips as I caught sight of him. For a moment, all thoughts of murder and apartment intrusion blanked protrude of my mind. For theologys sake, irradiation. What happened to your hair?He self-consciously ran a give way over the sharp, half-inch spikes covering his head. I couldnt even imagine how much styling crossing it must turn in arrive atn to defy the laws of physics akin that. Worse, the tips of the spikes were white-blond, stand out boldly over against his normally dark hair color. Someone I work with helped me with it.Someone who hates you? puppet scowled. You are the most uncharming succuba Ive ever met.I think the spikes really, um, emphasize the shape of your eyebrows, offered Cody diplomatically. They clean take most acquiring used to.I shook my head. I resemblingd ray of light and Cody. They were the however vampires Id ever been friends with, exclusively that didnt make them any less exhausting. amidst Peters assorted neuroses and Codys dogged optimism, I much or lesstimes felt like the square man er, woman on a sitcom.A lot of acquiring used to, I muttered, pulling up a bar-stool from my kitchen.Youre one to talk, returned Peter. You and your locomote and whip getup.My mouth dropped, and I turned an incredulous look on Hugh. He hastily shut the Victorias Secret catalog hed been leafing finished.Georgina You said you werent going to tell You sealed your lips and everythingI, uh it just sort of slipped out.Did you really have horns? asked Peter.All right, thats it. I want you all out of here like a shot. I pointed at the door. Ive been through plenty today with out you three adding to it.You havent even told us almost taking the contract out on Duane. Codys puppy-dog eyes looked at me pleadingly. Were dying to hold up.Well, Duanes the one who technically did the dying, pointed out Peter in an undertone. delay the snide comments, warned Hugh. You might be next.I half expected travel to pour from my ears. For the last time, I did not kill Duane Jerome believes me, okay?Cody looked thoughtful. But you did threa disco biscuit himYes. And from what I recall, so have all of you at rough time or another. This is just a coincidence. I didnt have anything to do with it, and Something suddenly occurred to me. Why does everyone halt saying things like arranged his death or got someone to murder him? Why arent you saying that I did it myself?Wait you just said you didnt.Peter rolled his eyes at Cody in advance face up me, the fourth-year vampires expression turning drab. Of course, serious means all sorts of things when diametrical with a ha irstyle like his. No ones saying you did it because you couldnt have.especially in those shoes. Hugh nodded toward my heels.I appreciate your complete lack of faith in my abilities, only isnt it potential I could have, I dont know, taken him by surprise? Hypothetically, I mean.Peter smiled. It wouldnt have mattered. Lesser immortals cant kill one another. Seeing my astonished look, he added, How can you not know that? After surviving as desire as you have?Teasing laced his words. There had always been an unverbalised mystery between Peter and me concerning which of us was the oldest of the mortals-turned-immortals in our little circle. uncomplete of us would openly admit our age, so wed never really contumacious who had the most centuries. One night, after a bottle of tequila, wed started playing a Do you remember when sort of game. Wed only gotten back as out-of-the-way(prenominal) as the Industrial Revolution before passing out.Because no ones ever tried to kill me. So what , are you saying all those superoxide dismutase wars vampires have are for nothing?Well, not for nothing, he said. We lower some pretty terrific damage, believe me. But no, no one ever dies. With all the territory dis stagees, in that respectd be very few of us left if we could kill each other.I stayed silent, turning this revelation over in my head. Then how do I suddenly remembered what Jerome had told me. They get killed by vampire hunting watchs.Peter nodded.Whats the deal with them? I asked. Jerome wouldnt elaborate.Hugh was equally interested. You mean like that one girl on TV? The hot blonde?This is going to be a long night. Peter gave us both scathing looks. You all need some serious Vampires 101. I dont suppose youre going to offer us anything to drink, Georgina?I waved an impatient hand toward the kitchen. Get whatever you want. I want to know near vampire hunters.Peter sauntered out of my living room, yelping when he nearly tripped over one of the galore(postnomi nal) gobs of books I had sitting around. I made a mental business to buy a new bookshelf. Scowling, he surveyed my nearly empty refrigerator with disapproval.You really need to work on your hosting skills.Peter Now, I keep hearing stories about that other succubus the one in Missoula. Whats her lay down again?Donna, offered Hugh.Yeah, Donna. She throws great parties, I hear. Gets them catered. Invites everyone.If you guys want to party with all ten people in Montana, then youre welcome to move there. Now stop wasting time.Ignoring me, Peter eyed the red carnations Id bought the other night. Id put them in a vase near the kitchen sink. Who sent you flowers?No one.You sent yourself flowers? asked Cody, his voice quaking with sympathy.No, I just bought them. Its not the same. I didnt look. Why are we talking about this when theres an alleged vampire killer on the loose? Are you two in danger?Peter finally opted for water that tossed beers to Hugh and Cody. Nope.We arent? Cody see med affect to learn this. His scant days as a vampire a lot made him a baby compared to the rest of us. Peter was teaching him the trade, so to speak.Vampire hunters are simply special mortals born with the energy to inflict real damage to vampires. Mortals in general cant touch us, of course. Dont ask me how or why this all works theres no system as cold as I can tell. Most so-called vampire hunters go through life without even realizing they have this talent. The ones who do sometimes check to make a career out of it. They pop up like this from time to time, pick out off the occasional vampire, making a general nuisance of themselves until some enterprising vampire or demon takes them out.Nuisance? asked Cody incredulously. plane after Duane? Arent you the least bit worried about this person coming after you? After us?No, said Peter. I am not.I shared Codys confusion. Why not?Because this person, whoever he or she is, is a thorough amateur. Peter glanced over at Hugh and me. What did Jerome say about Duanes death?deciding I needed a drink myself, I raided my kitchen liquor footlocker and made a vodka gimlet. He wanted to know if I did it.Peter made a dismissive gesture. No, about how he died.Hugh frowned, apparently trying to piece together the logic afoot. He said that Duane had been found inanimate with a stake through his message.There. You see?Peter looked at us expectantly. We all looked back, baffled.I dont get it, I finally said.Peter sighed, again looking utterly put out. If you are a mortal who has the semidivine ability to kill a vampire, it doesnt fucking matter how you do it. You can use a gun, a knife, a candlestick, or whatever. The stake through the look thing is hearsay. If a normal mortal does it to a vampire, it wont do a damned thing except really piss the vampire off. We only hear about it when a vampire hunter does it, so it carries some special superstitious lure, when really, its only like that egg thing on the equinoxes. What? Hugh looked totally lost.I rubbed my eyes. I actually know what hes talking about, as scary as that is to admit. Theres this urban myth that eggs balance on their ends during the equinoxes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, but the truth is, youd get the same results any time of the year. People only try it on the equinoxes, however, so thats all anyone notices. I glanced over at Peter. Your point is that a vampire hunter could kill a vampire in any number of ways, but because the stake gets all the attention, thats what has become the accepted method of revocation of immortality. In peoples minds, he corrected. In reality, its a pain in the ass to guide a stake through someones heart. A lot easier to shoot them.And so you think this hunter is an amateur because Cody trailed off, obviously unconvinced by the make egg analogy.Because any vampire hunter worth his or her smell knows that and wouldnt use a stake. This persons a total newbie.First, I advised Peter, dont s ay worth his snuff. That expressions out-of-style and makes you sound dated. Second, maybe this hunter was just trying to be old-school or something. And even if this person is a newbie, does it really matter since they managed to take out Duane?Peter shrugged. He was an arrogant asshole. Vampires can sense vampire hunters at close range. Combined with this ones inexperience, Duane should have never been taken. He was stupid.I opened my mouth to counter this. I would be among the first to go that Duane had indeed been both arrogant and an asshole, but stupid he was not. Immortals could not live as long as we did and see as many things as we did without gleaning substantial know-how and street smarts. We grew up quickly, so to speak. some other call into question moved to the forefront of my reasoning. Can these hunters hurt other immortals? Or just vampires?Only vampires, as far as I know.Something didnt add up here between Peters comments and Jeromes. I couldnt quite put my finge r on what was bothering me exactly, so I kept my misgivings to myself as the others chatted on. The vampire hunter stem soon became passe, once theyd decided with some disappointment I hadnt assure anybody. Cody and Hugh also seemed content to buy Peters theory that an amateur hunter constitute no real threat.Be careful, you two, I warned the vampires when they were getting ready to leave. appetizer or no, Duane is still dead.Yes, Mom, answered Peter disinterestedly, putting on his coat.I gave Cody a sharp look, and he squirmed a bit. He was easier to manipulate than his mentor. Ill be careful, Georgina. betoken me if anything weird happens.He nodded, earning an eye roll from Peter. Come on, said the older vampire. Lets get some dinner.I had to smile at that. While vampires getting dinner might have frightened most people, I knew better. Peter and Cody both hated hunting human victims. They did it on occasion but rarely killed when they did. Most of their sustenance came from extra-rare butcher shop purchases. Like me, they were half- assingtheir darned jokes.Hugh, I said sharply as he was about to follow the vampires out. A word, please.The vampires gave Hugh sympathetic looks before leaving. The imp grimaced, closing the door and lining me.Hugh, I gave you that key for emergencies Vampire murder doesnt constitute an emergency?Im serious Its bad enough Jerome and Carter can teleport in here without you deciding to open up my home to God and the world.I dont think God was invited tonight.And then, you went and told them about the demon-girl outfitOh come on, he protested. That was too good to keep to myself. Besides, theyre our friends. Whats it matter?It matters because you said you werent going to tell, I growled. What kind of friend are you? Especially after I helped you out last night?Christ, Georgina. Im sorry. I didnt know youd take it so personally.I ran a hand through my hair. Its not just that. Its I dont know. Its this whole business with Duane. I was mentation about what Jerome told meHugh waited, giving me time to gather my thoughts, sensing I was about to unleash something. My mind pondered the nights unfolding as I studied the imps massive shape beside me. He could be as silly as the vampires sometimes I didnt know if I could speak seriously to him.Hugh how do you know if a demon is lying?There was a pause, then he emitted a soft laugh, recognizing the old joke. His lips are moving. We leaned against my counter, and he studied me from his greater height. Why? Do you think Jeromes lying to us?Yes, I do. Another pause followed.Tell me then.Jerome told me to be careful, said I could be assumed for a vampire.He told me the same thing.But Peter said vampire hunters cant kill us.You ever had a stake driven through your heart? It might not kill you, but I bet you wouldnt like it.Fair enough. But Jerome claimed vampire hunters flummox other vampires by following(a) their prey. Thats bullshit. Cody and Peter are the exception. You know how most vampires are they dont hang out with other vampires. Following one generally wont lead to another.Yeah, but he said this one was a newbie.Jerome didnt say that. That was Peters theory based on the stake.Hugh gave a conciliatory grunt. Okay. So what do you think is going on?I dont know. I just know these stories are contradicting each other. And Carter seemed awful involved, like he was in on some secret with Jerome. Why should Carter even care? His side should technically approve of someone picking off our people.Hes an angel. Isnt he supposed to love everyone, even the damned? Especially when said damned are his drinking buddies.I dont know. Theres more here than were being told and Jerome seemed so adamant about me being careful. You too, apparently.He stayed quiet a few moments before finally saying, Youre a pretty girl, Georgina.I started. So much for serious talk. Did you drink more than that beer?I forget, though, he continued, ignoring my questi on, that youre also a smart one. I work around shoal women so much suburban housewives wanting smoother skin and bigger breasts who have no other concerns but their appearances. Its easy to get caught up in the stereotypes and forget that you have a brain in there too, behind your beautiful face. You see things differently than the rest of us more clearly, I guess. Sort of a bigger picture kind of thinking. perchance its your age no offense.You did drink too much. Besides, Im not smart enough to figure out what Jerome isnt telling us unless there arent really succubus or imp hunters out there, are there? waste you ever heard of one?No.Neither have I. But I have heard of vampire hunters independent of pop culture. Hugh reached for his cigarettes and changed his mind, remembering I didnt like smoking in my apartment. I dont think anyones going to put a stake through us anytime soon, if thats whats bothering you.But you do scoff were being left out of the loop?What else do you expect from Jerome?I think I think Im going to go see Erik.Is he still alive?Last I knew.Thats a good idea. He knows more about us than we do.Ill let you know what I find out.Nah. I think Id rather stay ignorant.Fine. Where are you off to now?Ive got to go put in some after-hours time with one of the new secretaries, if you catch my meaning. He grinned, dare I say, impishly. Twenty years old, with breasts that defy gravity. I should know. I helped install them.I couldnt help but laugh, despite the grim atmosphere. Hugh, like the rest of us, had a day job when not furthering the cause of evil and chaos. In his case, the line between occupations was a little thin he was a plastic surgeon.I cant make out with that.Not true. Science cant duplicate your breasts.Praise from a true connoisseur. Have fun.I will. Watch your back, sweetie.You too.He gave me a quick kiss on the forehead and left. I stood there, alone at last, staring idly at my door and wondering what all this meant. Jeromes warning probably had been overkill, I decided. As Hugh had said, no one had ever heard of imp or succubus hunters.Still, I clicked my deadbolt and fastened the chain on my door before going to bed. Immortal I might be, but reckless I was not. Well, at least not when it counted.

No comments:

Post a Comment